Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Comfort


The last time I wrote I was talking about our comforts in life. I just returned from a trip to PaP and was staying in a friend’s house – a very nice house. I was judging the home in Haiti I stayed at. I was thinking of the people who have made their homes in tents and wondered how someone could have a home so beautiful when people are suffering. But I decided I should never judge others and I would enjoy my little ‘vacation’ I found myself in, in Haiti. The next night I stayed again in the PaP area this time in Carrfou. I was in an area I didn’t know in maybe an average (for Haiti) income home. My friend who I came with had to run errands in different location in PaP so he left me with his cousins at the church. I would be safer at the church since it was after dark. He warned me I would have to introduce myself to the church in Creole, as no one I was with spoke English. So I was with people I didn’t know, in an area I didn’t know, with no English speakers. I was uncomfortable! I was frustrated with my friend for putting me in this situation. However, the worship service was very good. The music was alive and the people were warm and welcoming. After church, we walked back to the house to wait for my friend to return. I spoke English with the children; they practiced all the words they know. I was getting very hungry and tired wondering where my friend might be. He finally arrived and we went to another house where we would be sleeping. Again, arriving at the house, after dark staying at someone’s house I have never met. Then my friend was maybe going to stay back at the other house. But by the evening I was staying in a bed with a mosquito net, and the lady of the house even wanted me to use her night gown. As I laid there and listened to music and thought about my discomfort from the day; I realized I had already found my comfort zone in my home in Mizak. It was good for my ‘comfort’ to be challenged. I realized I need to practice challenging my comfort level a bit more. I think we all probably need to take this challenge to continue to grow in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment