Monday, November 29, 2010

Today Jesus washed my feet

It was a long day of travel from Mizak to PaP, somewhere in the suburbs. As you can imagine traveling through the city is a lot to take in. There is trash, dirt and water everywhere you look and people everywhere you look. The sounds of people, animals, and transportation is overwhelming. As I walked through the city I saw people sleeping on the street, a blind child begging and an old man with one leg pushing himself, along in a wheelchair. I also saw incredible strength of so many Haitian people. People were dressed in nice clothes going to and from work; somehow people continue to survive even with buildings crumbling around them. There are just so many thoughts to take in. I finally arrived at a beautiful home of the area of Tabra at a friend’s uncle’s house. I found myself struggling with how someone can live like this with all the struggles going on in the streets I just came from. I reminded myself not to judge because this is the same thing that happens in my own country as well. People lose sight of the struggles of their neighbors. I didn’t know how to be in this house with all that I had just seen, but you also have to appreciate what God has gives you at different times. So I decided to get cleaned up. I went to the bathroom and cried when I discovered there was hot water for the shower. Then I put my feet in the bucket of water to let them soak in the hot water. I sat down and thought about what my feet had been through that day traveling the streets of PaP. I thought about all the people I had seen and the daily struggles and joys they may be experiencing this moment. Then I closed my eyes and Jesus washed my feet. I cried as I thought of what this meant; this action that Jesus did for the disciples so many years ago. I thought I understood this idea of servant leader but suddenly I found a new insight. Because living in Haiti I have actually seen the servants and I have also seen the elite leaders of Haiti. It is nearly unimaginable to think of one of these leaders of Haiti washing the feet of the servants after walking the streets of PaP. Jesus was trying to teach us something and still daily we struggle to understand. We continue to love our own comfort more than our brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment