Saturday, November 27, 2010

A simple Response to a great need

The other day I was talking to a young man in Haiti. I was asking him many, many questions about how organizations work, the Haitian culture, ect. It was a really good in depth talk about many things helping me to understand the way some things work. He told me a story about him working in another area called Basen to visit the school. The school only has one hallway of classrooms for 7 classes of children. They also only have 4 teachers for these classes. He went on to describe how they were also short on blackboards, writing benches and other materials. However they were still trying to work the best with what they had. This young man saw the need here so he wrote up a proposal and talked to Digcel (one of the major cell phone companies in Haiti) He had heard about them working with different projects around the country. He worked and worked at making this connection happen with the people of Basen. But they were unable to find land to be donated to for Digcel to build a new school. They were finally able to get school supplies donated but this was all.
I listened as he talked about the struggle and the frustration on working with this project.
This was something he was working on on his own time in a different area than his own. This was a place where before he didn’t have any family or friends. I found this little unusual “Why were you working on this project? It’s not in your area; you don’t have any direct connections. So for what reason were you way over in Basen?”
“oh, Oh, Angelica because there was a need I saw. A great need for the school. It doesn’t matter where you are at; if it is your area or not. You should do whatever you can wherever you can to try and help people to try and make a difference in people’s lives.”
I was speechless as tears welled in my eyes. Yup, I thought that is exactly the way I should be. You just help because there is a need – simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment