Friday, December 31, 2010

fellowship

Today may be the best Sunday since I have been in Haiti. The last couple of months in Haiti the only time I really get homesick is on Sunday. Back in the US, Sunday usually is my favorite day of the week. I used to live in the church building in the apartment next door. So I would wake up and go over to the church early before anyone was there, often in my pajamas. Sometimes I would decorate the altar in the sanctuary and make coffee for the Sunday school class and the early arrivers to church. Then I would go get ready and return again before Sunday school class. I loved just sitting in the fellowship hall and being able to greet everyone as they came to the church, and of course let them know that there was coffee. Sunday school class was a small group of adults, of whom I know well and have a great amount of respect for. They are a wealth of information, and almost all of them were or are teachers. In waiting for church to start I would hang out in the kitchen and help prepare for after church or go in the sanctuary and visit with people. As I sit in the sanctuary I look around to see if all my ‘family’ is there in their pews. I can still see them in their spots in our open aired worship area in Haiti. Where most Sunday’s I sit and pray I can understand more Creole soon as I struggle to know what the service is about.

However, this morning though before church I talked with my Haitian family over breakfast of pumpkin soup and homemade bread. Most the time they are all coming and going and so not everyone eats together, often time in fact I may be eating alone, because of all the buzz of activities. After we ate together I went over to the church, where they were having Bible Study. One of the people helped me find the verse they were talking about in English, so I could understand some of what they were talking about. When church started I sat with ‘my two girls’ and they shared a hymnal with me so I could follow along with the music. When it came time for the scripture, Eddy gave me that to. After church we went and visited some people that were sick. We walked and talked as we traveled to three different houses. It just seemed like many of the things I usually miss on Sunday mornings came together. It was a great day.

2 comments: