Friday, December 31, 2010

the Critters in Haiti


I have been meaning to write about all the fun little critters in Haiti, since I found a giant frog in my house one evening. I had left the window open and there he was on the wall beside the window just hanging out. I tried to swat him out the window with a broom. He jumped behind my headboard. I tried to smash with my headboard and he jumped to the other wall. He just sat there on the wall and I decided he could stay I didn’t want him on my bed – I would just go sleep on the couch. The next day there was no sign of him. I had my host family even come look for him, no luck. Joana just said, “Oh, he’s here. He’s watching you sleep. You can’t see him, but he can see you.” – Thanks Jo – that helps! About a week later I see him in the corner of the dining room just after my friend Papi had left. I yelled for him to return and he got him out of the house by swatting him with a broom. But then once he had him outside he stomped on him in the grass. I yelled no, I don’t want him dead just not in my house.
So other little critters in Haiti; crickets, mosquitoes, lighting bugs, mice, rats, cockroaches – none of these you see very often. And yes I have seen a tarantula but only twice in the total of 5 months I have been in Haiti. But the chameleons or lizards are always running all over my house inside and out. They finally don’t startle me anymore. But why did I finally decide to write about the critters in Haiti. Because this morning as I was locking my outhouse, there in the crack of the door I finally saw a snake. By the time I went to get my camera and returned there was no sign of him.

1 comment:

  1. It is nice to hear the list of critters that are rare. Spiders mostly. Well, snakes too I could do without.

    Frogs? I find them kind of delightful. :-)

    ReplyDelete