Monday, July 5, 2010

Back in the States

I have taken too much time to try and decide what to write now that I am back in the states. But many people have asked me how was it. And I have a whole variety of answers depending on what part you want to hear. The trip was a blessing. I heard a phrase once, probably on the bottom of a pastors email - "blessed to be a blessing" This phrase runs through my mind often when I think of Haiti. I was truly blessed to be down there. I have dreamt of going back for over a year now. My only hope is that I was able to be a small blessing in my time there.
I did many things when I was in Haiti but I feel the most important thing was to learn. I just tried to be with the Haitians and learn and soak up as much of the culture and language as I could. Sometimes this was frustrating. As Americans we go to other countries on mission trips for a 'project'. We come in we have an agenda/goal and we get it accomplished. But when you are working on a longer term goal you seem to 'think' about things much more. I found myself pondering the long range goals of Haiti. But not mine, trying to discover what the beautiful people around me dream for there country. And how can I - or can I be a part of that dream developing. And how can I keep my own American biases out of the situation and try and just 'be a blessing'. I keep working on this 'goal' and hope I can be a small part of the Haitian dream. I do believe in the country. I know the people there are incredible strong, loving and will rise up from the rubble of the earthquake.

No comments:

Post a Comment