Monday, January 30, 2012

Today was nearly a typical day in Haiti, but all together it was fabulous!

I woke up early like 5:00 am and read for awhile. Then I went for a short walk up the mountain to sit and visit with God a bit. I came back a bit later ready for breakfast of oatmeal, but was pleasantly surprised by soup (yea, we eat soup for breakfast in Haiti). After I prepared to walk down to New Life Elementary School with LMI to take photos of the new books they received today. Most of the distributing had already been done, but the kids were still excited and looking through their brand new books. The teachers were really happy too. They were also encouraging the rest of the kids to bring their ‘tuition’ for school so they could receive their books. Our school is a community school (or ‘free’ school) many kids in Haiti cannot afford to go to school, so that is why this school was started. However, children are still required to pay 150Goudes (about $4); this to help cover a portion of their books. So, I took some photos and then headed back to my house. As I passed by Paul’s house on the way, I saw one of the translators for HAPI on the porch. I hadn’t seen Arold in a long time and always enjoy seeing him. He and one of the gentlemen from the Canadian team they have were just sitting on the porch visiting. I sat and visited with them for awhile, it is always great to hear stories of how people end up coming today. This story was about a Bluegrass band fundraiser and a photo of a precious little Haitian girl named Sonya. Paul was visiting with some ladies from another organization in Jacmel so I headed on my way home.

There I arranged my bag again with Laptop in hand to head down to The Center/Art Gallery. Just as I was leaving, Gabriel says, ‘oh, Angelica I was going to send you with some popcorn before you leave.’ I dropped my bag down and said I could wait, for popcorn I can wait! As I waited I made some beads. I walked down to the center with Raphael (Papi) and we met Lee in the road. Lee was coming to see us so he and Papi could go check on a desk for The Center. They checked, I kept walking so I could say hi to the folks who used to cook for me. I also passed by the clinic and visited with Jacquiline. After collecting some things from Lee’s house to take to the Gallery we were all on our way. First we enjoyed ‘lunch’ popcorn and coke and then I showed Lee the brochure for dreamer program I finished. Then Papi and I got after cleaning up and rearranging the Gallery. It was a big chore because we haven’t had any rain for some time, everything is covered in dust. Plus we have more items, so I had to find space for it all.

During the midst of this Tigo came by with a ‘present’ – It was my old camera! I thought it was lost but turns out I had left it in his truck. Tigo hung out and helped clean and detangle mobiles. Lee then started hanging some of the paintings and arranging the sign outside. We all headed home late in the afternoon ready for our ‘showers’ for the day. Upon returning home we were given bean sauce with yams. Shortly after Gabriel arrived home and I started helping her make Lasagna. We made everything from scratch and it turned out amazing, except the cat stole the rest of the cheese I would have used for an omelet the next day. Gabriel sat and ate with us and Lee came by later to try the lasagna.

The rest of the night I just relaxed and read at the house until turning off the flashlight around 8:00pm. Great work filled, fun filled, all around Haitian day – including the random visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment