Thursday, January 26, 2012

Christmas Eve Service

It was your ‘normal’ Christmas Eve Service as I have normally experienced it. You read through the scriptures in the New Testament, which involve the story of the birth of Jesus; Mary being told she was pregnant up to the wise men coming. And we all sing the traditional songs in between. ‘Hark the Harold Angels Sing’, which I believe you should always stand for. How can you not? And the other songs such as ‘ We Three Kings’, ‘Bethlehem’, ‘It Came Upon a Midnight Clear’ and ‘Jingle Bells’ (oh wait that isn’t for this story but still one of my favorites). But you always end with ‘Silent Night’ and the lights are turned off, the candlelight begins with the Christ candle at the front of the church and then is passed one at a time from person to person. As I looked at the little light in my hand I smiled; then I slowly turned to see the other lights in the room. Everyone had their little candle in front of their face and you could feel the warmth and energy in the room. It wasn’t just candles, it is easy to see the light in the darkness; even the small candlelight helps us all see. But in the world when we have all the ‘light’ or endless supplies of distractions in our lives, it makes it hard to see our light of Christ shining with in to others in the world.

That light always seems more visible in children to me, doesn’t it? They are still pure from the love of God and haven’t yet been completely consumed by the distractions yet. I was reminded of this at the second Christmas Eve service (yes I went to two, my mother is a pastor). As the same service, same story was repeated again, I listened. And this time we did stand for “Hark the Harold Angels Sing”! Other than that have to admit I was a bit distracted. Everything was plugging along the same ready to light the Christ candle and all the other candles in the room, just like before. The ushers lit their candles from the pastors then began passing the light down the eisles. Suddenly a little boy ran up to the front from the back of the church to get the light from the pastor. As he walked back to his seat or should I say crept back, because he was moving very, very slow; he was watching that little light with great intensity and protecting it from going out. He continued to watch and smile all the way back, like he just captured the greatest thing in the world and couldn’t keep his eyes off it. His parents were of course embarrassed and apologized for him running up and distracting everyone.

I just smiled too and tears came to my eyes as I thought – “But that is what it is about!” Jesus didn’t come so we would continue to act like everyone else! He challenged us to seek out what is right. Find the love in the world and share it with others. Stand up for justice. Maybe even move to another country or dare I say step out of line at church and run like a child to search for the light of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment