Wednesday, January 18, 2012

No warm water that I was expecting

Daily life. I am a ‘nester’. Typically women are by nature, however this can seem tricky in a different culture. I have my own little house now that I fixed up from a local family. I - or rather I should say the 1st United Methodist Church in Vermillion and other donors fixed up the house for me to live there, because they help support so much of the work I do in Haiti. So I can use the house for as long as I need it, but the house is right on the property with the family. We have one outhouse and one shower and one little half done kitchen and one barrel of water. Today I was frustrated because I put out water in the sun for my bath this afternoon. It has been cold here and it has probably been four days since I have washed my hair, so I needed some warm water. When I came back to my house I didn’t see the water, the jug - the water was in was sitting empty. I was disappointed but I knew the lady that washes my clothes came today so the water was probably used for that. I asked Philo (the mama) and she immediately searched for water and found some that I am pretty sure was going to be used to wash the dishes. But she washed out a 3 gallon bucket to put some of the water in so I could bathe and wash my hair. So - that is a half full 3 gallon bucket of water, but the sun was shining and I washed my hair so I was pretty happy. But still I found myself going over in my head how it is sometimes frustrating living with other people and especially in a country where you have so little to share. But still we all manage and somehow, as this photo reminded me as I looked through them this evening we stay happy.


This is Eugenie (Gabriel) one of the family members taken one morning in the ‘kitchen’ as she was beginning to make coffee. I thought she looked beautiful sitting there so I took a picture but she jumped up in the photo. After she let me take this cheesy one, but she is still beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment