Monday, September 12, 2011

Part 2 - Making Traffic (read the next blog first)

After waiting in Di Mez for some time we had a couple of people when we got a call that the bakery up the mountain needed us to haul bread to LaVallee. When we crossed the river we picked up two more people and a bunch of bags full of things. When we arrived in Mizak we had to unload all the people and things that we picked up. I felt really bad but we had to load up all the bread first and it was down a narrow bad road and there was mud. So we headed down the hill, the other very large truck was very stuck in the mud. We came in and with the help of several people we loaded up all the bread, along with the people that would sell the bread in Retori. I thought the truck was full and wondered about the people we had left waiting. But when we met them in the road we reloaded all of their things and them into the truck; all but one woman and her two small children under the age of 2. I was very sad for the woman, I was going to suggest the children sit up front with us and her in the back but the kids were wet. The person who wanted all the bread hauled, gave her money to take a motorcycle with the children. We drove up the mountain and unloaded everyone at the market. Then we started selling the bread out of the back of the truck. People flocked to load up their bags of bread so that they could resell them in the market. Tigo and I went and checked out the market. It is one of the biggest and best in the area and it happens every Friday. I had never been there before but it was incredible the amount of people in town and the amount of products there. We just sat there and watched the market, until a lady carrying a giant basket through the market. I thought it would be perfect for a laundry basket; Tigo didn’t skip a beat to tell me to go and ask the price of the basket. I explained to him things cost more for the white girl; he should go ask the price. He did and then we waved me over. I bought the basket and we walked back over to the truck and helped sell bread out of the truck. It was good to sell the bread. It gave me a little lesson in the money in Haiti. I still don’t really understand it. There is the Haitian Dollar which is 8 times the American dollar but doesn’t actually exist it is just referred to. Then there is the Goude, which is the money exchanged and it is 5 times the Haitian dollar. But it helped me practice a bit in counting out the bread - 50 Goude for 3 pieces of bread. They sold over half of the bread and decided they were ready to go home. I was able to drive home – which was a great joy. It is something I miss the most in the United States. The market place is always a learning place. We had gone also gone for a big walk. I saw the Catholic Church and the school. We were going back down to Jacmel but we were all too tired and I was a bit sunburned, not expecting to be out selling bread in the hot sun for a few hours. Again you just really don’t know what life might bring to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment