Wednesday, May 18, 2011

importance of being fearless or at least faking it



I used to ride horse when I lived down in Kansas with a friend of mine. I have always loved riding and wished I had more opportunities to do so. But most people don't have this opportunity in their everyday lives.
Horses in Haiti are used for practical purposes, such as hauling construction supplies, market produce, water, or general transportation. Most of the time it is actually donkeys that are used for this as they are better for the rocky terrain as well as lack of water.
This beautiful horse had been tied up around my house down in Haiti for some time. I kept telling people I was going to ride it. I was going to find out who owned it and ride it. But didn't really ever think it would happen.
One day we saw the kid out in the field with his horse and I said to my friends 'that is the horse I have been wanting to ride'. Right away my friends called over the kid to bring his horse to us. As I got up and remembered the rocky terrain I thought there is no way I can do this. And I looked at that beautiful horse longing to ride it but saw of coarse no saddle, no rein; there was no way I could ride this horse. I could fall and break a leg and then where would I be. Besides that how could I even get on the horse with no saddle. But as I was going over this struggle in my head; my friends were encouraging me. And I realized if I didn't do this I would regret it.
I would not say that in that moment I was fearless, I was terrified. But I knew my regret would out way my fear. This may be a great lesson to go through life with. Conquer your fears or at least fake it; You don't want to miss out on an amazing experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment