Thursday, August 22, 2013

"A new song in my mouth" - written last spring in Haiti


Today has been a beautifully perfect day in Haiti.  And why shouldn’t it be I suppose.  I was struggling a lot last year being here.  Nothing seemed to fit, to flow, so many road blocks.  I felt like a fish out of water.  After coming back I figured I would be on the same dry land, but I have been bound and determined to work at it.  Part of this has been writing more and part has been reading the bible and Upper Room Devotions from 2011.  I had some old ones I never read.  There are references in the front so I read on ‘failure’ and ‘loss’. 
Psams 40:1-3
I waited patiently for the Lord:
                                he inclined to me and heard my cry.
He drew me up from the desolate pit.
                                out of the miry bog.
and set my feet upon a rock,
                                making my steps secure.
He put a new song in my mouth
                                a song of praise to our God.
 
These were my thoughts in the morning in was like new light was shinning, ‘a new song in my mouth’.
The coconut juice, you put it to your lips and it has the perfectness of the purest water you have ever had in your life.  But it has richness to it; like if gold or diamonds were made into a drink, that richness is the coconut juice.
The coffee is hot and black.  The sweetest thing you could ever drink ,but not too say that you wouldn’t want it just perfect, and strong.  I add cinnamon to it and it is like a holiday evening in the winter with family.
The spaghetti is perfect this morning, small chunks of chicken, onion, an amazing flavor.  I think awe, I have some parmesan cheese!  I search for the cheese in the other house.  What do a find under the table cloth on the shelves; I see a piece of avocado.  Avocado!  No one told me there was avocado right now in the country.  I come back and tell Raphael who is eating breakfast with me about the avocado, I am practically giddy.  He doesn’t really believe me and asks where it is to go investigate.  He searched and then asked his mother.  – She had been saving this little piece for me and she had forgotten about it.  Oh I love avocado in Haiti; one of my absolute favorite things.
Thanks for the new song!

No comments:

Post a Comment