Sunday, May 27, 2012

Dream Big in Haiti and all over the World

I have been trying to put into words something I have been thinking a lot about the last couple of weeks. I came back from Haiti about 3 weeks ago and during that time I have been watching my nephew. It has been a true joy. One I could not have imagined, it is sort of an odd feeling – he looks so much like my brother and I swear I am having flashbacks to when my brother was just his age and I was 3 years old. Now I maybe have a glimpse as to why grandparents are so crazy about their grandchildren. You see your own children in that little face and you just get to love him or her. So I am a very happy Aunt and blessed to be able to have so much time with him.


But as I watch this little guy I look around and see all the things he has to play with in the house. And all the other stuff he has, I think like your typical American baby – I can vouch for other children I have watched. He has the little sitting chair that lights up and moves, the one the baby lays under with all the fun things to look at, the little walking seat, and then all the hand held toys and stuffed animals. Not to mention I watch Baby Einstein with him as he watches with fascination. But one of the things he was most interested in, most intrigued by this week was my black and white Dreamer shirt with LMi.

As my nephew sat starring at my T-shirt that reads across the bottom – “Dream Big” it made me sad to think of the differences in Haiti and United States; not only in material possessions but in encouragement and being able to dream.
In the US we live by some mottos –

“You can be anything you want.”
“If you work hard enough you can have it all.”
“Follow your dreams”
...and many more.

But in Haiti dreaming is hard. You don’t see many great success stories, and I think it would be hard to for a Haitian to answer the question – “Who inspires you?” or “Who is your hero?” We have an amazing legacy of people who have gone before us, which they do in Haiti too but are fewer and farther between. A young Haitian often only sees what is right in front of him and a dream of making something of his/her future is much more difficult when the family has to decide between education and food for the family; and certainly not toys that might be able to spark their creativity and dream bigger. This is one of the things I work at bridging with the Haitian people, sharing a little inspiration.  And showing and teaching the young adults how they can be an inspiration to children in their community.  One of our staff with LMi was asked what is success during a workshop he replied "…”It’s when younger students begin to look to me as a role model and then I know that I’ve set an example for success…”.

I think a lot about Jerzie – my god-daughter in Haiti whom also lives on the same property, as I watch my nephew. I have watched her grow up and enjoy watching her play at the age of 17 months. I watch her playing around the house and her creative mind picking up everything. Now I imagine when I go back, to Haiti, I will think about my nephew and all his toys. Jerzie had the little toy that kids learn to walk in.; but now, her and the neighbor boy share a little truck they can pull around. Many of the children in Haiti have no toys. Most toys come along later, around 5-8 years old when the children create the toy themselves. The most common toys I have seen are rims to bicycle wheels – the kids push them around with a stick and try and keep them rolling without falling down. Or the example below of 2 lids to a butter dish attached to a stick that my neighbor made.

I don’t know what the answers are for the future generations of Haiti. But I do know like all young people they need to be inspired. They need to see examples of success from people that have gone before them. And I will continue to ask them
“What is your dream?”
“What do you want to be when you grow up?”
and encouraging them by expressing to them
“You can do it!” 
“Follow your dreams.”
That is something that we can all do for people in our lives. Tell it to your family and friends but also share it with a stranger or someone you know maybe has never heard those words before. “You can be anything you want in this world!” and “Dream Big!”


No comments:

Post a Comment