Sunday, February 6, 2011

Connected to Natural Beauty


I experience natural beauty in Haiti everyday. I am blessed beyond words to have this experience. About a month or two ago we were able to get internet in Mizak where I live. This meant that I didn't have to go down to Jacmel on the long, dusty, whindy road twice a week. I thought this would be a great blessing, as most of you can imagine. Or can't imagine seeing how most of us in the United States have internet everywhere we go; we have it at home, at work, and at the local coffee shop. For a couple days I was loving it, but after two weeks I noticed I was getting a little depressed. About a week later I discovered that I was missing my spiritual connection with nature. When I ride down those long, dusty, whindy roads I soack the beauty that God has created. I think about the time I have been in Haiti. I think about the beauty in the faces I meet all along the roadside. I reflect on the determination and sheer strength of the Haitian people.
With the internet 'in my home' I discovered I was missing out on all of this. How many of us at home are missing out on some of the beauties of the world when we are at home on the internet and watching TV. We loose our connection with what God has created, and then we start missing the point all together and getting disconnected from who we as individuals were created to be.
My advice - go connect with some of creation. Look out the window (without the TV on) and just watch the snow. Drive down the road and look at all the colors of the trees or enjoy a sunset. Go have coffee with a friend and appreciate the beauty in there face because God is creating everyday and you can particitpate in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment