Thursday, October 21, 2010

Taking things for granted.


Many people wonder if I miss the luxuries of home. How does one live without electricity without running water? Or without Walmart? ;) But honestly I feel blessed everyday in Haiti. I have a roof over my head, a clean dry bed (most of the time), a place to get cleaned up, and food in my belly. There are homes I have visited in Haiti which this is not the case. Many people are still living in tents all over the country. Others are still living in their homes that have been patched with plastic, sheets, and tin; the walls cracked and crumbling from the earthquake or from the hurricanes in the past. The people have to walk for miles just to collect water to cook with or bathe. And even though when we come home late for dinner and have to eat a cold meal (no microwave to warm it up for us); we are still grateful for the food we have and we pray daily for the homes that the children may go without dinner.
But I was still raised in the United States; so what do I miss and what do I want you to not take for granted? A flushing toilet – which we do have at the team guest house, when there has been enough rain or if it isn’t clogged. A variety of foods – I really wanted to order pizza the other night, and man I would love a chef salad with some ranch dressing or some ice cream (although there is a place in Jacmel for ice cream, just have not got there yet). Ice – I don’t even use ice that much but for those of you that do, don’t take it for granted, you miss it when you can’t have it. As I said before microwave – if you get home after the food has been cooked there is no option but a cold dinner. And ‘entertainment’ – when it is 7:00 in the evening with no electricity, no TV, no movies, no lights to read by or play a games – just means extra sleep, which I do love. But it may also mean waking at 4:30am.
These are just a few of the things once in awhile I miss a bit. But it is fleeting when I hear the frogs and crickets at night singing to me and when I really think I can see every star in the sky. Or when I see children running around playing and giggling with one another, barefoot and half dressed. Or taking a long walk to visit someone who is sick and I am warmly greeted by each person I see, as they are happy to greet me and see how my day is going.
. . . one last thing I miss and should never be taken for granted family and friends being around you (although I have some of these around me in Haiti). So be thankful, take time to appreciate all the little things that you truly do have. If you have a roof over your head and food in your belly – you are blessed beyond measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment