Monday, April 29, 2019

Beautiful Butterfly


I have had many transition over the last year.  Many I am still coming to terms with at this time.  But I am growing learning and adjusting much like this story I would like to share with you.

I woke up in the morning in my first fall quarter at Southwestern College where I am studying Art Therapy / Counseling; with these thoughts in my mind and heart. A little story, a poem, words for my own soul that maybe you need to hear too.  To all who read this who feel as a caterpillar, or maybe you are having growing pains in the cocoon…remember you will fly when you are ready!

Transitioning Butterfly


I am a trapped caterpillar alive and energized, but scared.  Inside the cocoon, the weather is shifting and there is tightness and changing happening.  I pull and turn. I feel the presence of my wings but have no idea how they are going to work.
I have seen butterflies.
Do I remember how they fly?
Do they flutter, glide, or ride the wind? 
Do they choose where to go?
Do they feel drawn by an energy source going here or there? 
I do remember their peace and beauty. 
They flutter from here to there like the world needs them to send a message of peace to all that might gaze upon them. She has a secret; I know she does.  Maybe she could teach me, but I fear she will be gone by the time I struggle and break free for myself.  No, I know this is something I must do on my own.  But for now, I will watch her flutter and dance.  I will start to move my wings the way I think they need to move. I will gaze at the vibrant colors and then close my eyes and try and pull those colors down into myself. 
What will my colors be - blue, yellow, shades of orange, accents of black?    Or a psychedelic changing from green to blue to purple depending on how the light is touching it.

In the cocoon my fears dance like stars in my head - what if I am just a moth and not a butterfly at all! 
“No fear.” Now you know that is not true.
I can feel the colors emerging so much I can smell them. I will continue to pull them into me.
I am still blossoming and developing – I can feel it in my soul.


I am aware of my wings as
 I am still growing. 

And then one day I will push and twist and move like a strong dancer as my mighty wings emerge.  And then, then I shall fly, and flutter, and dance. I shall let the wind carry me, and I shall move toward the flower in need.  
I will dance with the other butterflies but only for a bit, 
I have so many places to go. 
I will visit the caterpillars along the way. 
I shall kiss them on their back and encourage them with a whisper. 
“You are a beautiful butterfly too!  You will start to feel it and sense it and then be one!  Transformations take time sweet caterpillar, but remember you are a butterfly!”



1 comment:

  1. I love it! I can imagine you emerging from your studies with lifted wings! So beautiful...

    ReplyDelete