Thursday, October 29, 2015

Check the Chaos.


We have been traveling and I have not been good about sharing what is going on in our lives or even just sharing about Haiti.  I also have to admit I have not felt that inspired and also tired.  I have been recouping from some spiritual hurt in the past.  So concentrating on healing has left me lost at times and simply trying to find my balance. 

Last week Raphael and I were at the Luther Center sharing a Haitian meal with our old campus ministry friends.  And I had the opportunity to share the message.  This semester they have been asking the question, “Where do you find (experience) God?”  My most basic answer is ‘in Nature’.  I shared more detailed stories about where I feel most at home and with God is in the mountains in Haiti and the mountains of the Black Hills.  Last night a week after I shared, I decided I wanted to share a meal again at the Luther Center (even with our busy schedule, it seemed important).  After the meal and carving pumpkins I was tired and it was time to take Elijah ‘home’ to bed in Vermillion.  I wasn’t sure I was going to come back for worship.  But one of my friends, a graduated student said you need to experience some home – come back and worship with us.
Luckily I listened to her advice.  I returned and it was so meaningful.  Every service is started by saying something to the effect of leave the chaos of your life outside, check it at the door; this space is sacred and is meant to be spent at peace with God and yourself.  And with the music and the silent prayer, I find God again and again, each time I am there.  Last night it brought tears to my eyes and gave me a renewed energy and centering for our journey ahead. Luther Center last year was such a central part to my healing heart with organized religion and God. I am blessed to be a part of that community.  Everyone should have a place that they can find that sort of peace.  If you don’t have one keep searching.
                
This morning I read a blog by a friend, that has also been doing a bit of traveling about sacred places.  I encourage you to read it.  

Go wherever you need to, to find God.  God is waiting for you to reconnect.  God is always there sometimes our lives just get to crazy, to much chaos to hear that still small voice.  Check your chaos at the door and find some peace.  I know easier said than done.  Like I said the music helps.  Hope this helps you.  This is one of the songs we played last night. 
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment