Thursday, March 8, 2012

Learning from our Brothers and Sisters.

One day at my mother’s church in South Dakota , I teared up just a little bit. It was because two women coming down from the offertory were holding hands. Now some may think that is odd or probably would not even have noticed, but it reminded me of Haiti. When I first experienced this connection of hand holding in Haiti I was walking to the market with the pastor’s teenage daughter. She grabbed hold of my hand as we walked. I was of course thinking it was strange but also felt the connection and felt loved by her instantly. The next time was after I had been in Haiti for some time already. I remember two friends of mine, two guys holding hands as the group walked. One of the Americans asked me if they were gay. I laughed a little and said no, they are just good friends. Many Haitians hold hands as they walk just to have that connection to one another. This is what I saw that morning with those two ladies holding hands. It brought joy to my heart because I could see their love for each other.


After I had come back from Haiti I would have to be touching the person I was sitting with or maybe even hold their hand during church. Because we do have this physical connection in Haiti of holding hands with your friends or every time you come and great a group of people you shake their hand or kiss their cheek. I think we can learn from this. Have that connection with the people you love. Reach out and grab that hand of your friend, show your love for them. Don’t be afraid to look silly or have someone question you. You should always show love it’s what we are connected on this earth to do. Love is always something to be joyous about and not questioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment